- - Please visit: Atkinson Brass & Co. - -
Horn Parts from Solo Repertoire
The works below are the most standard solos for the horn from the 18th and 19th centuries that are available for download in public domain editions.
Click on any link below to open a PDF.
- Beethoven: Sonata, Op. 17
- Cherubini: Sonata No. 2
- Mozart: Concerto No. 1 in D, K. 412
- Mozart: Concerto No. 2 in E-flat, K. 417
- Mozart: Concerto No. 3 in E-flat, K 447
- Mozart: Concerto No. 4 in E-flat, K. 495
- Saint-Saens: Morceau de Concert
- Schumann: Adagio and Allegro, Op. 70
- Schumann: Konzertstuck for four horns and orchestra
- Strauss, F.: Nocturno, Op. 7
- Strauss, F.: Concerto, Op. 8
- Strauss, R.: Concerto No. 1, Op. 11
- Weber: Concertino in E
Horn Parts from Orchestral Repertoire
This resource is intended as a basic outline to guide advanced orchestral horn study at the college level. The parts listed (1, 2, etc.) contain excerpts that are the most essential for study from the works listed.
NEW: The Horn Matters PDF Excerpt E-Book Series.
A a series of three concise excerpt books based on actual orchestral parts in a PDF E-Book format, this free publication includes major French horn excerpts from the most important works for auditions in a format that is easily viewed and printed from any device (computer, iPad, etc).
Download Volume I directly here. Learn more about the book here.
Download Volume II directly here. Learn more about the book here.
Download Volume III directly here. Learn more about the book here.
Overall Index to the excerpt book series here.
Essential Orchestral Horn Parts
These works were requested on at least 50% of major orchestra audition lists for one orchestral position (1, 2, 3, 4, or asst./utility) in a recent survey of ICSOM orchestra audition lists (see NOTES at the end of the PDF list for source).
Works requested on more than half of all audition lists are *marked.
Beethoven: Fidelio Overture (2)
*Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 (1, 2)
Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 (1)
*Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 (1, 2)
Beethoven: Symphony No. 8 (1, 2)
*Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 (1,2)
*Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 (3,4)
Brahms: Symphony No. 1 (1)
Brahms: Symphony No. 2 (1)
Brahms: Symphony No. 3 (1)
Brahms: Symphony No. 4 (1, 2)
Brahms: Symphony No. 4 (3, 4)
Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 1 (3)
Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 (3)
Berlioz: Queen Mab Scherzo (3)
Bruckner: Symphony No. 4 (1)
Haydn: Symphony No. 31 (1, 2)
Mahler: Symphony No. 5 (corno obligato)
Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 3 (3)
Ravel: Piano Concerto in G (1)
*Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5 (1-4)
*Strauss: Don Juan (complete–1-4)
Strauss: Don Quixote (2)
Strauss: Don Quixote (4)
*Strauss: Ein Heldenleben (1-4)
*Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel (complete–1, 3)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4 (1-4)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 (1)
Wagner: Short Call (1)
Wagner: Das Rheingold Prelude (4, 8)
Weber: Der Freischutz Overture (1-4)
Important Orchestral Horn Parts
Important works requested on many major orchestra horn audition lists.
Bach: Brandenburg Con. No. 1 (1, 2)
Beethoven: Symphony No. 2 (1)
Berlioz: Roman Carnival Overture (4)
Brahms: Haydn Variations (2)
Brahms: Tragic Overture (4)
Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 (1)
Dvorak: Cello Concerto (1)
Dvorak: Symphony No. 9 (1-4)
Franck: Symphony in D minor (1)
Liszt: Les Preludes (4)
Mahler: Symphony No. 3 (1-4)
Mahler: Symphony No. 4 (1)
Mahler: Symphony No. 7 (1)
Mahler: Symphony No. 9 (1, 2)
Mendelssohn: Nocturne (1)
Mozart: Symphony No. 25 (2)
Mozart: Symphony No. 29 (1, 2)
Mozart: Symphony No. 40 (1, 2)
Mussorgsky/Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition (1)
Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet (2, 4)
Ravel: Pavane (1)
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scherezade (1)
Rossini: Semiramide Overture (1-4)
Saint-Seans: Symphony No. 3 (3)
Schoenberg: Chamber Sym. No. 1 (1, 2)
Schubert: Symphony No. 9 (2)
Schumann: Symphony No. 3 (1, 3)
Strauss: Symphonia Domestica (4)
Stravinsky: Fairy’s Kiss (1)
Stravinsky: Firebird (1)
Stravinsky: Rite of Spring (4)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 (4)
Wagner: Prelude Act II of Lohengrin (2)
Wagner: Prelude Act III of Lohengrin (1-4)
Wagner: Die Meistersinger (1-4)
Wagner: Long Call from Siegfried (1)
Weber: Oberon Overture (1)
Exercises & Technical Studies
Build your technique! Click on any link to view an individual PDF.
- 12 Grand Studies by Belloli, Gallay, and Gugel from the Otto Langey Tutor for French Horn
- This PDF page is presented freely as an Open Educational Resource (OER) to the horn playing community by Horn Matters.
- Works that are not linked in the list of orchestral excerpts are either not available for posting at this time or are currently under copyright.
- The lists of orchestral parts for study are based on the results of a recent survey of major orchestra audition lists. For the complete results see John Ericson, “A New ICSOM Audition List Survey,” The Horn Call 33, no. 1 (October, 2002), 53-55.
- A one page PDF version of this page’s listing of orchestral works may be found here. All of the parts above are from editions that are in the public domain.
- Some of the orchestral PDFs contain a number of parts and dozens of pages. Before printing out a specific part, be sure to set your printing options to print out only the pages that you want.
- And for the horn solos, only the horn solo parts are included in this online resource aimed at teachers and students of the horn of all levels. For the piano parts we recommend the use of available, commercial editions.
Please see our terms page for more details.