How to get a horn geek riled up.
Horn aficionados and geeks as a general rule, are a pretty easy-going breed. But if we get riled-up, watch out!
We absolutely will not stop arguing until every last point that we can think of has been exhausted — at least twice.
So, what jibes can you use to provoke a horn geek? Glad you asked…
- French horn, French horn, FRENCH horn!!
Calling the instrument by this name may induce vomiting, headaches and furrowed brows. See a physician if arousal lasts longer than 4 hours.
- Stopped horn lowers/raises the pitch one half-step.
Want to get a professor going? This is a good start.
- Philip Farkas was not 100% right about everything.
- Triple horns are for wimps that can’t play high notes.
Bound to get any first horn player’s panties in a bunch.
- Mellophones are an abomination.
- Kopprasch is boring.
Gasp — blasphemy!
- A real horn player uses only the F-side of the double horn.
- Dale Clevenger sounds like a trumpet/Phil Meyers sounds like a tuba.
This one is right up there with “if Batman and Spiderman got in a bar fight, who would win?”
- Hampel invented hand-horn technique.
Another one to get the egghead crowd.
- The Kruspe-wrap design is far superior to the Geyer-wrap (or vice-versa).
This is an classic debate that is bound to get almost any horn geek frothing at the mouth.